Sunday, October 01, 2006

Thomas Hill: Protest Write-In Candidate For Congress

Here's how this whole thing started...

In August 2005, I announced my intentions to run for U.S. Congress, District 8 on the Libertarian Party ticket to the LPNC Yahoo e-mail list. Unfortunately, the State Board of Elections decertified the LP, kicking us off the ballot.

In spite of the party decertification, I was still listed as a candidate. I have been receiving invitations to forums, questionnaires and surveys.

A little over a week ago, it was brought to my attention that I was polling at 20% in the U.S. Congress race on the Facebook Election Pulse. No bad for someone without an active campaign.

Until now...

Despite the fact that the board of elections won't count any write-in votes for me, I am starting a grassroots protest campaign to challenge the government to make every vote count! I am going to write my name for U.S. Congress District 8.

According to the U.S. Constitution, I am eligible to serve in Congress. Article One, Section Two lists the qualifications for holding office in the House of Representatives. You must be at least 25 years of age; a citizen for at least 7 years; and a resident of the state in which you are elected.

I qualify as a candidate, but they will not count any votes for me.

Here is what I am going to do about it.

I am going to request an absentee ballot. I am going to write my name in for Congress. I am going to make a photo-copy of my ballot before turning it in. I am asking everyone who would like to vote for me to do the same.

After the election, when they certify the ballots cast, I will show up with my copy of the ballot to demand that any and all votes for me be counted.

When they throw my vote away, I will sue the State Board of Elections.

North Carolina election law is in clear violation of the U.S. and N.C. Constitutions.

I'll take it to the U.S. Supreme Court if I have to.

This is my line in the sand.

COUNT MY VOTE!

2 Comments:

At 11:08 PM, Blogger Paul Elledge said...

Yes! Do all of this, Thomas. In fact, all of us should start doing this and bringing our own individual lawsuits if they refuse to count the votes for us.

This could be an entirely new tactic which could get us a lot more publicity and sympathy than what we've always done before.

 
At 3:40 PM, Blogger JenFreespiritS said...

Hey Thomas! We need news of Cabarrus activities on our LPMeck list. Are you subscribed? I admit I haven't been reading the LPNC yahoo group a lot, so I have not heard much at all about things going on up there. Please keep us updated of what you guys are doing, Meck has been a little boring lately. Trying to spice things up a bit.
Subscribe here:
http://lpmeck.us/mailman/listinfo/lpmeck

 

Post a Comment

<< Home