Sunday, July 24, 2005

Wish I Had Written That

Below is a copy of a letter-to-the-editor, sent to me by my good friend, Chris Cole. He has sent it to the Independent Tribune. I hope he has better "luck" than me. My last three lte's were ignored by Kathy Nelson and the rest of the editorial staff.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To the editor:
Your article on growth as a "burden" on schools goes a
long way in reminding me why I am a Libertarian.

When they get more customers, businesses like
McDonalds or Wachovia give cheers. Only government
treats new customers as a burden. If there aren't
enough McDonalds, the solution is to build new ones.
When schools are overcrowded, the solution is...? To
pronounce blame. Blame developers. Blame new
residents. Blame immigrants. But never blame
government.

The obvious solution is to get education out of the
hands of government. Of course, bureaucrats would
never say that, because it would undermine their
control of our lives and ability to take our money.

If public schools can't absorb more students, then
give those students other options. Charter schools
would be an easy step, but the state caps those. How
about a tax credit for families that home-school or
send their kids to private schools? Fewer students in
public schools would mean less need for public school
space. Do you see how easy liberty is?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home